Recess/Detour

Recess/Detour
Quiet Weekend on the Tenn Tom

Me and Mickey

Me and Mickey
Me and Mickey on Detour

Monday, June 11, 2007

A Year at Pickwick


The layover in Columbus didn't last quite as long Detour's time at Pickwick Lake on the Tennessee River. The trip from Demopolis to Little Rock was put on hold for about a year while we waited for a berth at the Little Rock Yacht Club and to gain the knowledge and work up the courage to attempt a cruse in such unknown waters. The wait could have been a lot worse if Pickwick Lake wasn't such a beautiful place to cruise. Pickwick is really about the first place to make a long layover on the Tennessee. There are a couple of marinas that are well appointed and provide good service but we decided on the marina at Pickwick State Park. The folks are friendly, the price is right and they had an open slip. The range of services there are not as comprehensive as Aqua Yacht Harbor on the Yellow Creek arm of the TennTom or some of the other Pickwick marinas but it was convenient and it was familiar because I had bought Detour there about three years before. I changed her name to Detour from Recess, which I thought was a great name but wanted her to have a name that was original, at least to me. If you are in the area and need assistance Lee Spry marine services is available. Lee is a surveyor of some reputation in the area and did good work for me.

This doesn't seem like much to say about a year's stay but I didn't get over to Pickwick from Little Rock very often; it's a long trip. I took the time to drive the route, at least as closely as possible, that I would be taking from Pickwick to Little Rock on the rivers. I wanted to look at marinas and check on places to get gas, especially when I left the Tennessee and entered the Ohio, Mississippi and the Arkansas. The story line will get more interesting as we go forward... I hope.

No comments:

Trawler at Dawn

Trawler at Dawn
Getting underway early, anchorage Old lock #1 Tombigbee River