Recess/Detour

Recess/Detour
Quiet Weekend on the Tenn Tom

Me and Mickey

Me and Mickey
Me and Mickey on Detour

Thursday, October 7, 2010

"Low impact running" My New Thing

I didn't Google "low impact running" so someone else may be writing about the subject but if you read this account, you are reading my system and mine alone.

I'm not an expert runner or even an accomplished one but I do run on a regular basis.  I also have been able to compete in a half marathon and in numerous local 10 and 5 K runs.  If I live long enough, I think I may win an age group category, but I will have to live a very long time.

On the subject of competitive running, it helps me set goals that keep my training on a more steady schedule.  However, as I continue to run, I am less interested in competing and more interested in staying alive. 

The low impact part was a matter of necessity because I didn't begin my running life until the age of 62.  I found myself semi-retired with more time on my hands than ever before and decided to start taking a walk each day; don't all old folks take walks.  Oh, yeah, I needed to lose about 20 pounds or so; don't all old folks.  That brings up the issue of diet, which I've tried to manage with more of a "left coast" perspective but I'm talking low impact running and diet is whole 'nother blog.

Back to walking; wow did I hate walking.  It just about bored me to tears.  And all those other old folks look like they enjoy it so much.  I just couldn't handle it.  So I started walking faster and faster.  That didn't seem to work either; got shin splints. I Googled a bunch of stuff and figured I needed a really good pair of shoes.  I  did, but it didn't help my poor legs.  Someone, I think at the shoe place, suggested that I try jogging slowly to get different muscles working and see if it would help.  I did... it did and for some reason, my bordome became important "private" time to think, plan and dream.

  As I think about how many folks my age with new found time on their hands, we "baby boomers" and all, there must be others struggling through the agony of neighborhood walking.  I'm sure those of you who have thought about the prospects of starting to run are hearing the same warnings that I heard.  You are going to drop dead, you will destory your knees and "I know a guy who ran and he....".  Well, it all could happen but it probably won't.  You will probably be just like me and feel great, get off your high blood pressure and cholesterol meds and lose those 20 somthing pounds.  It would be a good idea to pass the idea by your personal medical consultant and get a fresh warranty.

I have no idea about the medical implications of the constant impacts of running on an old body but I have been developing a low impact system that works for me.  I do have masters degree in physical education so the idea of exercise method is not totally a mystry to me either.

I haven't tried to give advice on any matter in my blog but during my runs over the past few weeks I've been thinking that my system might be interesting to some of you other old guys and gals.  It might help you believe you can run also.

Here goes, start with a good pair of shoes.  I actually have two pair; one pair of 10.5s for a left shoe and one pair of 11s for my right foot (my right foot is a half size larger than my left and it bothered my on long runs).  There are lots of good shoes out there and some good fitters.  I had to buy several different makes before setteling on Asics (Gel Nimbus 11).  They may not work for you but they give me more cushoning than any of the others and that is the most important element in the low impact system.  Also get "real" running clothes; it will make you feel like others think you know what you are doing.

Let's talk running posture.  Keep your head up, shoulders back and arch your lower back.  Arching your lower back or keeping your hips forward put your spine in a more stable alignment and help guard against low back problems. 

Now for your legs.  I have a tendancy to develop shin splints so I try to use muscles in my upper legs as much as possible and focus on relaxing my lower legs. I keep my feet as close to the ground as possible, whithout having my toes scrape the ground as the come forward.  I stike the ground with my heels but don't let my feet slap the ground as my foot rolls forward.  Don't bounce your body like those young flat-bellies do; it will increase impact.  It is actually a smooth running style and uses as little effort as possible to move the body forward.

I've been running for a little over 2 years now and to date have had very few body part problems.  Get good "soft" shoes and explore the limits of your old body; it may surprise you.

No comments:

Trawler at Dawn

Trawler at Dawn
Getting underway early, anchorage Old lock #1 Tombigbee River